Friday, November 14, 2008

One Election Perspective

Over here the US election has been big news. Every time I turn around people are giving me their (generally positive) opinions and asking me what I think. Here’s a translation of one conversation:

Store owner (SO): Obama won. Is he good?

Me: We will see.

SO: Will he be better than Bush?

Me: We will see.

SO: Obama’s father is a Muslim, right?

Me: I think so.

SO: Obama is a Muslim.

Me: He says that he is not a Muslim.

SO: But does he do the Muslim prayers.

Me: Probably he does not.

SO: He is a Christian. He isn’t Catholic is he?

Me: No, not Catholic.

SO: So Obama is a protestant like you?

Me: He says he is a protestant, but I don’t think he is like me.

SO: What does Obama think of us?

Me: I really don’t know.

SO: What is he going to do?

Me: I don’t know, but after I leave I’ll call him and let you know.

SO: (laughter) I talked to him last week. Tell him I said hi.

Me: Okay. Good bye.

No comments: