Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Matthew's Birthday


We've had two very interesting days. I got up Monday planning to clean up the house from the weekend, walk over and check email and facebook, frost Matthew's cake, and have dinner and cake at our house at six. I made seven minute frosting for Matthew's chocolate cake, while Mike went over to the store to check email/news etc. Well, while he was there, he mentioned to one of the girls who worked there (R) that it was Matthew's birthday and she asked if she was coming. Since the party was combined with an already scheduled meeting, he couldn't say "yes," so he invented another party for Tuesday night on the spot. He invited R and her newly engaged fiance E. He almost had the whole youth group coming too, but apparently they couldn't come Tuesday and we couldn't do it Friday.

Matthew enjoyed his party, spaghetti (aka "noodles and cheese) and cake. He took five minutes to figure out how to blow out the candles, between it being a whole year since he did it last and his natural shyness. He was so cute!

Tuesday I got up and made another cake (a box mix this time--thank you Aunt Ginny!). We gave Matthew a play-dough toy; a thing you squeeze to make play-dough ribbons. He's really into play-dough right now, he'll say "we should do play-dough" and then sit at the table for hours making fish, or bugs, or whatever he's into at the moment. Then we took Matthew to the park for his birthday as we'd promised. While they napped I cleaned the house and frosted the cake for our next party. This time we invited our neighbors from across the hall who we've talked to several times. They came! So did R and E, and our American friends.

Overall the time was a success. I made tea, but R "fixed" it (I still haven't mastered getting it right every time). Everyone enjoyed the cake and icing, and the kids played well. Their kids loved our toys--locals don't like their kids to have too many toys because of the mess; even if they have the money to buy them they just don't. So our Duploes and play animals were a big hit for the 4 and 9 year old. The conversation went well, I think. There were a few nervous moments. The conversation went a little political, and you've got a room full of 1. us foreigners 2. R and E and 3. neighbors who I had no idea what they thought or where they were coming from. But everyone seemed to have a good time. "Mrs. Neighbor" wants me to show her how to make the icing I made for her daughter's birthday cake next month. R and E left a little earlier. They were happy; R's brother just let her get engaged so they just glow whenever you see them. The neighbors left after about 2 hours, and they seemed relaxed and happy. Actually, Mr. Neighbor stayed and helped Mike with the TV, cause it turns out our building has free cable. Altogether the night was a success and Matthew enjoyed his two birthday cakes!

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Did he get to blow candles twice? Was he faster the second time?
Love ya,
Margy