Thursday, December 04, 2008

Chestnuts and stuff

I've come half-way around the world to experience a tradition I've only ever heard in a song--roasting chestnuts. The fellowship room at the church we attend is heated by a barrel shaped stove right in the middle of the room. Last night at the meal we share before prayer meeting, the youth were enjoying roasting chestnuts on top of the stove. I can't say I was impressed; I don't know if it was the technique or just the fact that I've never been a huge fan of nuts. But it was a nostalgic moment.

It will be interesting celebrating the holidays here, where we are involved with a group of believers. Last year it was as if we and our American friends were the only ones celebrating Christmas. Now it's like we're almost the only ones. All our neighbors are gearing up to celebrate a Muslim holiday that commemorates Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his only son. Practically, the holiday means a four-day vacation and lots of cleaning, guests, and special food. We're hoping to put up our Christmas tree this weekend.

Since it's been quite awhile since I've blogged, I should fill in a few random details. First, we moved. We like our new home, and are started to feel settled in finally. Our neighbors across the hall are super friendly. We are involved in the church here in this city and making new friends there too.

Second, new baby Christ is growing fine, everything normal as far as we can tell. She's due May 4. Yes, the doctor did say at the last visit that he thinks it's a girl (that was at 16.5 weeks). She better be a smart, active little baby, since she sure is sucking up alot of my energy!

Finally, I'm going to upload some pics to the slideshow. You'll notice several shots of Matthew and Duploes. He and Anna have been on quite the creative spree, with their blocks, playdough, and other toys. If I remember correctly, the pic featured below is a building created for Uncle Jonathan. Other than buildings, he specializes in planes and camels made from Duploes, and playdough sculptures of (unidentifiable) friends and family. Anna is a very diligent little Mother, and I discovered the other day that her baby's name is "Baby."

.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

She may be diligent but she doesn't look responsible. Is she trying to balance her baby on a 3in. step to a ladder?