Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Case of the Missing Books

I have a few new research interests so I ordered some books from Amazon, and I even paid a little extra so they would get here in a reasonable time. The books actually made it into our building yesterday, but left our building because the delivery man couldn't find me. He actually knocked on our neighbor's door asking for me. She told him where I live. But, the books never made it in my house.

So, today I went looking for them. First I went to the post office. No books. They I realized that they were sent via DHL cargo company. Both myself and a friend thought there was a DHL in our city, but I couldn't find it. So, I decided to ask one of the many other cargo companies were it was. One guy said that there was one, and one say there wasn’t. But, both agreed that DHL sometimes uses them. So, they checked for my name in their system. And, to my delight, they found it. But finding one's package in the system and finding one's package in real life are two different ball games. Thus began the mass search of the building for "Meek Kryeeest"'s package. We didn't find it.

But eager to help a foreigner, the manager was determined to find my package. He had me sit in the back, while he got on his cell phone. After about five minutes, he came back to get me with a big grin on his face--he had found my books. He brought me out of the store and pointed across a field to a dusty, poor section of town and began to describe a building. What? I thought. My theology books are in that random building in that section of town? This I couldn't believe. So I insisted that I didn't understand him, and I wanted him to show me. We walked across the hot field and into the dusty neighborhood. And, wouldn't you know it, there was a guy walking briskly towards me carrying a package--from Amazon. My books were lost, but now they are found.

After thanking both men profusely, I walked back to my car. When I opened my package I found two things. One was a packing slip for a Weber Premium cover for Weber Genesis Gas Gril, to be sent to Yosyf in St. Paul Minnesota. The other was my books.

Whether or not there is a DHL in my city, why the books didn't come to me in the first place, why there was a guy walking around in the poor part of the city carrying my books, and who in the world is Yosyf...I don't know. But, I got the books.

No comments: