Saturday, October 31, 2009

Learning About Shepherds



Cabin fever was starting to set in, so we decided to do a day trip. A lake and old bridge were our destination. We eventually did see them, but not before we wondered through shepherd country. It's great teaching our kids that God is our shepherd when we actually see them in real life. Notice above the shepherd is hitting the sheep, yet the sheep seems hardly moved. We've confirmed what we've heard in Sunday school and church all along: sheep are dumb stubborn animals. Without the shepherd, the sheep would just wonder off in all directions. The shepherd chased them up and down the gullies.


I got this picture by getting out of the car and getting into the middle of the sheep. I asked the shepherd if I could take pictures. He said, "Chek abi Chek," which means, "Yes, please take pictures." We realized that sheep do move for one thing: cars. We wondered how we would get through the road while all the sheep were using it. But then we saw that the cars just drive right through them. See below:

Yes, our car is surrounded by sheep.

What first attracted my attention was that shepherd was actually talking on his cell phone while watching the sheep. But I couldn't switch my lens fast enough to get the picture. Is that proof that I need to buy the really expensive 18-200 zoom? Probably not. But thank you cell-phone-equipped shepherd for leading me to see his massive amount of sheep.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

No comments: