Thank you to everybody who has prayed for me and the baby this week. I went to the hospital Tuesday night with cramps, backache, and light contractions at 28 weeks pregnant. My normal OB sent me to the University Hospital (by ambulance--no lights, but still quite a trip) since he didn't have the facilities to handle a premature birth if it came to that. At the University Hospital I was diagnosed as having preterm labor. They were able to stop the contractions/backache within a few hours, but I stayed at the hospital for another two days so they could monitor me and the baby. The baby showed no signs of distress through the whole thing, and I was discharged Friday morning.
Medical concerns aside, spending the time at the hospital was an incredible experience. After the first night, I felt fine, so it was a great opportunity to learn about being in the hospital here, get exposed to helpful new vocabulary, and get a little tiny bit familiar with the system. For example, you bring alot more of your own stuff, toiletries, drinking water, etc. You also bring your own relatives to take care of you, to do the non-medical parts of nursing. One of my roommates for most of the time was a newly married girl who just lost a baby at six months pregnant. Her mom and sister adopted me, sharing their home cooked food and generally fussing about anything from my blankets to washing my apples for me. They were really sweet, especially considering the mom spoke only a minority language that I don't know. I discovered that if you wake me up at four o'clock in the morning no matter how aware I am of what's going on, my brain will only speak to you in English! I was quite the curiosity for my roommates and the nurses.
At the moment I'm resting and waiting to figure out "now what." I've had no more labor symptoms, but we and doctors we consult with are trying to ascertain what the next few months should look like...ie, can we stay in this city, should I be on bed rest, modified bed rest... Our friends and fellow believers have been very supportive here, willing to watch the kids at a moment's notice and come stay in the hospital with me. I am also so encouraged as I am finding out now how many people were praying so quickly for my baby that night. God is very good! Please continue to pray for the safety of the baby, and that we would have wisdom as to how to best take care of her for the next few months.
~Becky
Saturday, February 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment