Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Olympic Sports

...are on my mind. I'm thinking of working out for the olympic sport of sunflower-seed-eating. I was never a big fan, but around here, it's a social thing to sit around and eat sunflower seeds. You snap the shell open with your teeth, wriggle that little bitty seed out with your tongue, throw away the leftovers, and pick up another all in one smooth motions that takes about the same (or less) time as it takes to pop a Planter's peanut in. But while my neighbors each have steadily growing piles of shells (husks, whatever are they called?) I'm still trying to fish that little piece of non-seed stuff out from under my tongue. Would it be too strange to go buy a bag and sit in my kitchen and practice?

If I can't qualify for the speed sport, I'll go for the strength sport--refrigerator door opening. It has a great air-tight seal. Every time I close it, it gurgles and clamps shut--I suppose it's attempting to re-create that chilly atmosphere we so appreciate. But now that it's hot outside, for a 3-4 minute period after I close it, it clamps down so tightly that rather than opening, it slides across the floor when I pull.

Of course, I may just take up toddler referee. It's the sneaky vs. the fiesty. The bigger vs. the littler. The verbal vs. the non-verbal. And of course, justice must prevail!

I love my kids!!!

3 comments:

RGK said...

I can also see you have what it takes for reaching for the gold, attempting feats of greatness few even dare. (Feets of grapeness: a new olympic event!)

Unknown said...

The sunflower seed thing is exactly the same in Kazakhstan! Just keep practicing-- you'll get the hang of it, and people will notice and be impressed (it happened to me, randomly on the street sitting with friends). The only downsides... sunflower seeds aren't super low-fat, and after a while my lips would hurt from the salt!

Way to go keeping up with the locals though!

M and A said...

No it would not be strange to practice!...one night I found myself sitting on the couch watching a EuroCup game and eating (or attempting to eat) sunflower seeds. I felt quite local! :) I think I finally got the hang of it, although I will NEVER win any medals for speed or quantity! At least I have reached the point where I wouldn't be embarrassed to attempt it in public. :)